Friday, May 28, 2010

Summer has arrived!


"What is your family doing this summer?" If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me that this spring, I might have enough to take my family to Disneyworld. Well, it felt like that anyway.

No, we're not taking a vacation. No money. No, we're not buying season passes to White Water and Frontier City. We did that last year. So, what do we do?

The answer to my question came from a book. Those who know me won't be surprised by that. I have been inspired by 101 Places You Gotta See Before You're 12! by Joanne O'Sullivan. Granted, I am way past age 12, but the idea sounded like fun nonetheless. Ms. O'Sullivan wrote, "Long ago, the early explorers set off on their journeys with nothing more than a spirit of adventure and the stars to guide them. Sometimes the only information they had about their destination was an ominous phrase written on the edge of a map: Here there be dragons."

Ms. O'Sullivan's list is the basis for our scavenger hunt. Instead of hunting things, we will be hunting places. She has compiled a list of 101 destinations for us to explore, and we won't need to leave our state to find most of them. We will learn to read maps, chart our route, plan our trips, explore new sights, and record our adventures with pictures and a journal.

So, please, enjoy the sights of Oklahoma through the eyes of my children as we set off on our summer adventure. Who knows? We may encounter dragons after all...

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer, this is such a GREAT idea! And I LOVE that you are not only doing this with your family, but you are posting it in a blog so we can follow your adventures! Thank you--I'm your first "follower" :O) Yeah! I'm sure there'll be more!
    Love you guys! Miss you! Have fun!
    Teresa
    PS--Drop by my blog sometime: "Raising Baby With No Money"

    ReplyDelete