Saturday, July 10, 2010

#2: A Landfill


Did you know that the garbage you personally generate every year weighs as much as a rhinoceros? That's 4 pounds a day. Our scavenger hunt book tells us that our country generates "210 million tons of trash - enough to cover the entire state of Rhode Island, 6 feet deep."

Initially, I was very disappointed that no one would let us tour a landfill. I kept getting the same answer - it's a hard hat area and would be a liability to have the public on site. The closest we got was to the chain-link fence with the razor wire on top. Thankfully, we weren't allowed to spend much time at the landfill. I was totally unprepared for the colossal stench coming from the huge pile of trash! I have never smelled anything so bad in all my life! I tried to laugh it off and remain composed in front of my children, but it took everything I had in me not to start gagging! Now I understand why everyone with whom I spoke at waste management sounded so shocked that we wanted a tour. Afterward, I wondered why it was necessary to put razor wire atop the perimeter fence. Why would anyone want to go to the landfill?




A:
Ok, so this made #1 on my list of things that I hated and didn't like. The landfill is where all our trash goes, so it looked really bad! The landfill was this HUGE hill that kind of reminded me of a volcano! We weren't allowed in because it was a hardhat zone, so we didn't get some good shots. The reson that I didn't like it was because it looked gross, and it had THE WORST SMELL I HAVE EVER SMELLED IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost vomited right where I was!!!!! I will never go back again!


C:
The landfill is stinky. It looked kind of like a mountain. There was a No Trespassing sign on the fence. The smell was like stinky, stinky garbage and throw up.



No Trespassing? No problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment