Sunday, July 18, 2010

#73: An Artist's Inspiration

Hinton, Oklahoma



This mural was a special treat for us. Two years ago, when I moved back to Edmond with my family, I began another scavenger hunt with my children. The city has over 100 pieces of artwork featured around the city, and we were determined to find them and photograph them. I figured this would be a good way for my children to learn about their new home and see many of the places where I grew up. (We did a similar scavenger hunt when we lived in Tulsa, as we drove around the city looking for penguin statues.) As we observed the Edmond art, we began to see many murals created by Bob Palmer, a professor at the University of Central Oklahoma. Palmer has created numerous murals around the state, and we are finding his work almost everywhere we go. (Someday, we may have to go on a Palmer scavenger hunt.)


This mural depicts early Hinton history and includes the Legacy Bank, which is located directly across the street. Many of Palmer's murals are a record of Oklahoma history.



Mr. Palmer signs each of his murals, along with the other artists who helped him, at the bottom right corner. A liked how even the windows of the building were painted.


A:
Mr. Palmer's artwork is all over Edmond and some other cities in OK. My family and I absolutely LOVE his artwork!!!!!!! He's really good. In Hinton,OK, we found a mural that he and some other people painted, and their inspiration was the bank that was across the street. The painted it in their painting, and it looks almost exactly the same!!!!! I LOVE Mr. Palmer's paintings! They're so good!!!!!



C:
When we were at the Red Rock Canyon, my sister had to get a swimsuit so we could go swimming. When we passed by the bank, we looked to our right and saw a painting of the bank back in the old days. It had a horse and a person who was right next to it. The painting had lots of people on it. I really liked the painting because the bank was in the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment