Thursday, July 8, 2010

#77: A Replica

Lady Liberty at the intersection of 2nd and Boulevard in Edmond, OK



Originally erected in the 1950's, this replica of the Statue of Liberty was a gift from a local Boy Scout Troop as part of a nationwide project to celebrate the Scout's 40th anniversary, with the theme "Strengthen the Arm of Liberty". Over 200 statues were placed in 39 states for a cost of $350 each. The 8 1/2-foot tall statue originally stood in Liberty Park to the northeast of the Edmond Library, but when Shannon Miller earned 5 medals at the 1992 Olympics, the Park was renamed Shannon Miller Park, with a rather large statue of her as the focal point. Lady Liberty disappeared for a while and then resurfaced at this busy intersection. She is made from sheet copper and weighs 290 pounds. I am happy to see her standing in Edmond once again because she is part of my early memories of Edmond. I glanced at her many times as we entered and exited the public library for the summer reading program, and it did not go unnoticed when she disappeared, even though I was an adult by then. To see her now in such a prominent place makes me smile when I pass by her. I hope my children will one day get to travel to the real Statue of Liberty and experience her great history.


A:

The Statue of Liberty has always fascinated me. It looks so cool!!!!! So to have a replica of the Statue of Liberty here in Edmond is awesome!!!!! I like the Statue of Liberty, because it is a very pretty sculpture, and it is an important historic monument. The replica we have here was a gift from a boy scout troop. I think it was given to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Boy Scouts. So the replica is very important to Edmond.


C:
The Statue of Liberty was holding a book kind of thing in her hand. It looks like a Bible or something. And she holds a fire staff thing. She is not as big as the real Statue of Liberty. She is teeny.

No comments:

Post a Comment