Friday, June 4, 2010

#11: An Antiquarian Bookstore



Oh, look! A new vocabulary word! Antiquarian means "of, dealing in, or interested in old or rare books," according to dictionary.com. Of all the exciting places we could visit, my kids couldn't wait to get to this one. I have breeded, I mean, nurtured, two little readers. Old or new, borrowed or owned, torn or intact - my children LOVE books.

We visited Archives Books in Edmond where my children immediately ditched me at the door and disappeared between the shelves of books. A headed to the young readers section, while C promptly found the chapter books. I was left to explain to the owner about our scavenger hunt and to see if he had any really old or rare books. He said the oldest one he had ever had was from the 1500's, but he quickly found one that was published in 1810. A religious book about the apostle Paul and his epistles, the book was frail and peeling. I was afraid to even open it. C was astonished at the book's age and stood with his mouth hanging open.
 
 
Of course, we couldn't leave without buying some books. The owner was very generous, and told me, "You pile 'em high, and I'll sell 'em low!" If you go to his store, I bet he'll make you a good deal, too!
A:
I had a lot of fun, looking through all the books and getting to see one book that was 200-years-old! That's a really old book! I like going to the Antiquarian Bookstore. It is definitely in my top 20 [places we will visit.]


C:
I saw lots of books, and I got to hold a 200-year-old book! I got to buy lots of Black Lagoon books, one Captain Underpants book , one June Moody book , and one giant robot book.

No comments:

Post a Comment