Thursday, June 24, 2010

#18: An Art Museum

Oklahoma City Museum of Art


We went to the OKC Museum of Art because I desperately wanted to see the special exhibit they had on display this summer - "Sketch to Screen: The Art of Hollywood Costume Design." There has been quite a bit of hype about this display, and a coworker told me that we could pay less for tickets if we went on a Thursday evening. Sure enough, admission is only $5 after 5:00 on Thursdays. I think Mom and I were more excited about this outing than the kids were. The special exhibit includes 85 original costumes and accessories worn by some of Hollywood's greatest actors. My fave was a pair of Fred Astaire's tap shoes. Sadly, we were unable to take pictures in the exhibit, but I found some of our favorites for you to enjoy, too.




The first items we saw were Charlie Chaplins famous bowler hat and shoes which he wore as "The Tramp" and Buster Keaton's hat and skates.


Claudette Colbert wore this skimpy costume when she played Cleopatra on the big screen.


Next, we saw three of the gowns worn by Vivian Leigh in "Gone With the Wind." They were stunning!


I was thrilled to see these accessories from "To Kill a Mockingbird." Can't you picture Gregory Peck in those glasses?


When we turned the corner and entered this room, C said it took his breath away! There was Wolverine's costume with gloves!


C liked the costume which Russell Crowe wore in "Gladiator," although C has never seen the movie. Neither of my children recognized this ornate hooded coat and gloves from "Camelot."

If you can't make it to OKC and would like to see more pictures from the exhibit, visit this site:


From there, we rode the elevator up to the second floor and quickly worked our way through art from both American and European artists. My children liked the artwork but didn't spend much time admiring the paintings or sculptures.

This oil on canvas, titled "Girl in the Woods," is attributed to Pierre-Auguste Renoir.



This piece by Alfonso Ossorio is called "INXIT" and is considered an assemblage piece, although Ossorio called it a congregation. It is a wooden door and frame, decorated with odds and ends, such as animal bones, horns, mirrors, knobs, dominoes, and anything else he found lying around. Oddly, there are a lot of eyes on it. I don't know why. And, as C found out, if you stand too close to it, a doorbell goes off, and a museum employee comes running!



A sweet, unexpected find on the third floor of the museum was a display of glass artwork by Dale Chihuly. I didn't realize as I entered the exhibit, that I had seen his work previously - on the lobby ceiling of the Bellagio in Las Vegas! I can't even express how beautiful his pieces are, and the pictures just don't do them justice.






Standing beneath a flat glass ceiling, with Chihuly's glasswork lighted from above, was amazing!




A:
The art museum was one of my favorites! Seeing all the different art was very fascinating! My favorite part of the art museum was the glass on the third floor. The glass was blown in so many different shapes! My favorite piece of glass artwork was the glass that was in the ceiling!!!!! It was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!! It was also very colorful. You can see it in the third picture up from where I'm writing. I loved seeing the glass!!!!! We also got to see some costumes from different movies, and paintings that were very pretty! I liked the art museum a lot. I want to see it again!!!!!
C:
At the art museum, we saw glass statues. They were cool because in one of the halls, if you looked up, you will see glass. And not regular glass - they were flower-shaped glass. The building we went in was 3 stories tall. On the third story was the glass display. We saw a movie that showed us how to make the glass flowers. On one of the 3 stories, there was a door. It had a doorbell if you got too close to it. It was awesome! My favorite costume was the Wolverine costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment