Wednesday, June 9, 2010

#8: An Animal Rescue Center

Edmond Animal Welfare Center
I had called in advance to set up a tour, expecting them to spend 15-20 minutes with us. The shelter operates within the Edmond Police Department's Special Services Division, so we were greeted by Officer Reynolds.


He was very generous with his time, showing us much of the facility. The shelter houses mostly dogs and cats, although Officer Reynolds mentioned that they have had ferrets, rabbits, a snake, birds, and other animals. Wild animals such as raccoons or skunks are often referred to other organizations for rescue. Puppies and kittens are adopted out rather quickly, so many of the animals we saw were older ones. The shelter was buzzing with activity. Staff and volunteers were busy caring for the animals and the dogs. We saw three families looking to adopt a dog. Another officer brought two dogs in while we were there. Officer Reynolds seems very passionate about his job, even spending his off-hours at the shelter, caring for the animals. I think he may have been hopeful we would adopt one, too. I know he doesn't like to see any of the animals stay too long. Too bad I have such bad allergies! Altogether, we spent nearly an hour at the center.

C took this picture.


I wish I could remember their names!
A:
Going to the animal shelter was sad and fun! It's sad that so many animals were out on the street all alone, and they were REALLY cute!!!!! It made me want to have a dog! We saw dogs, cats, and ferrets (I know, I was surprised too). The officer that showed us around said that one time he was called out to get a tarantula that was trying to get in a house!!!!! That would freak me out! When I turn 13, I want to volunteer at the animal shelter and walk dogs! It would be so much fun! I can't wait!
C:
We saw lots of dogs and cats, and we saw ferrets. I saw this cat wrestling with another cat. It was really cool seeing them wrestle. But it was a little bit sad because it looked like the one cat named Sugar was getting hurt, but she wasn't. They were just playing around. I saw a cat and we put our hands on the glass and the cat was reaching toward our hands. It was a pretty cute cat. Officer Reynolds said they got a call for a tarantula and a snake. We saw some cats who were sick. It was really sad. I really love cats and dogs. I asked my mom if we could get the cat named Sugar, but she said 'no' because she's allergic.

No comments:

Post a Comment