Friday, June 11, 2010

#64: A Stargazing Spot


My space boys
The OKC Astronomy Club has a Novice Session each month prior to their meeting. The session is held in the planetarium at the Science Museum Oklahoma (a.k.a. the Omniplex, for you Okies), and the session leader points out the constellations which can be seen in the current month's night sky. This is the perfect setting for me because the projector shows the rendering of what the constellation is supposed to look like. For example, Cygnus the Swan doesn't look anything like a swan to me. It better resembles its other name, the Northern Cross, but with the drawing laid out atop the stars, I can almost imagine a swan. Then again, Cancer the Crab still only looks like a giant 'Y' to me!
To attend an OKC Astronomy Club meeting or one of their monthly events, check out their calendar:
We plan to attend another event before the summer is over so that we can gaze at the REAL stars!


the planetarium projector
A:
(didn't attend this event - will go to another stargazing spot later this summer)
 
C:
We saw Earth, Mars, Venus, Saturn, the Milky Way, and lots of other stuff. I saw the Little Dipper, the Big Dipper, a crab, a swan, a person holding a staff, a lion, and lots of other things. My favorite part was the crab.

No comments:

Post a Comment