Tuesday, June 8, 2010

#40: An Ancient City




The Hall of the People of Oklahoma
at the Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History,
the smaller handprints were made by 26 of
Oklahoma's 39 federally recognized tribes


While I would have preferred to travel to an actual ancient city in ruins, I don't know that we will get much more ancient than this. The exhibit claims the earliest archaeological evidence of humans in Oklahoma. Again, I don't believe that the artifacts displayed there trace a 30,000-year-old history, but bowls and arrowheads we saw were obviously pretty old. The exhibit features the Cooper Skull, the oldest painted object in North America. We also saw clothing, jewelry, toys, a headdress, and other objects from modern-era tribes. My favorite ancient display was a bison skull with a spearhead stuck in it.


Reproduction of a pole house,
built by the people of the Mississippian culture
who built the famous Oklahoma Spiro Mounds


entrance to the pole house
as SuperD sneaked up on C and A
and scared them



Reproduction of an ancient cedar canoe
A:
Seeing the Hall of the People of Oklahoma was very fun. I enjoyed looking around on the wall for handprints that matched my hands, and I found two that were the same size as mine. When we went inside, we saw a whole bunch of interesting artifacts, like arrowheads , clothes, bowls, and utensils. We saw some pictures of Oklahoma tribes. I also enjoyed going inside the house and the long canoe. My favorite part was the handprint walls.
 
C:
We got to go to the ancient city. It was totally wicked because when I walked in, I saw a person with a spear. I got to go in a canoe, and we took some pictures of us in the canoe. I got to see some arrowheads. I got to see a real bow and arrow that was really, really old. Next to it, there was a headdress made of feathers. I really liked the headdress. It's funny how "headdress" has the word "dress" in it! It was really, really fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment