Thursday, June 17, 2010

#62: A Peace Place


We visited this OKC peace pole with another family.


"The Peace Pole is the official project of The World Peace Prayer Society. It started in Japan in 1955 by Masahisa Goi, who decided to dedicate his life to spreading the message, "May Peace Prevail on Earth" in response to the bombings in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Peace Poles are handcrafted monuments erected the world over as international symbols of peace. Their purpose is to spread the message "May Peace Prevail on Earth" in the languages of the world."

-Peace Pole Makers website http://www.peacepoles.com/

Joy Mennonite Church in OKC planted their peace pole in 2006. It has four sides which proclaim the message of peace in English, Spanish, Arabic, and Cheyenne.




A:
When my friends and I went to the peace place, we had to be very respectful. On all sides of the peace pole, there was writing in different languages, English, Spanish, Cheyenne, and Arabic. They all said the same thing," May peace prevail on Earth". I enjoyed looking at all the different sides! One thing I like to do when I see Spanish writing, is that I read the Spanish words even if I don't know what it means! It is fun for me! I liked the peace pole. It was very cool!

C:
The peace pole was a little pole that had writing on it. It had different languages on it. We had to search for the English one. The peace pole is supposed to remind us of World War II and of the people of who died.

No comments:

Post a Comment