Thursday, June 10, 2010

#74: An Unusual Animal Farm


Timberlake Farms: a full service alpaca farm


Wow! What an adventure! Today we visited an alpaca farm. I was so blessed to come across Dr. Steve Hull's website ( http://www.timberlakefarms.net/ ), and he was so very generous to allow us to go to his farm. I invited one other family to go with us, but I don't think any of us expected to have such a great experience! The most I had hoped for was to maybe see the alpacas from the other side of the fence and have Dr. Hull tell us about them. But from the moment he opened the gate, we were in the same pasture as the females. Dr. Hull warned us not to touch their heads but to instead pet them on their necks or backs. He showed the children how to hold their hands out and gave each of them some food pellets. Then, off they went to feed the alpacas. And the alpacas came right up to them and ate from their hands! My heart rejoiced at the sound of their giggles as the alpacas' mouths tickled their hands! The kids couldn't get enough! The alpacas were gentle, and most of them weren't at all frightened of the children, as long as there was food to eat.

I have decided that we all need scarves made from alpaca fleece for Christmas this year, so if you see us sporting new scarves, you'll know they came from the alpacas at Timberlake Farms!




Dr. Hull has many black alpacas, which are not as common as the other colors.

A:
Ok, this, by far, was one of my top ten! I had never seen alpacas, but I have seen llamas though! Alpacas are fascinating animals that are really nice! When you feed them, you will notice that they have no upper teeth. It also tickles when they eat out of your hand! I was laughing so loud that I scared some of them away! :) I enjoyed seeing the alpacas. One of my friends got to know one of the baby alpacas so well, that it wanted to get in the car with her!!!!! I can't wait to go see them again!!!!!

C:

The alpacas went on a walk. I liked feeding them. The alpaca fur felt good. There was this alpaca that was talking to all of us. I don't know what it was saying, but it sounded like a squeal. The barn had lots of alpacas. There a teeny alpaca that was cute. The barn smelled like alpaca poop! P-U!










No comments:

Post a Comment