Tuesday, June 8, 2010

#87: A Medical Museum


" A Dose of History: The History of Edmond's Medicine"

We made it just in time; they were dismantling the exhibit just as we arrived. The items on exhibit were from several Edmond doctors' collections. Most objects had descriptions about how they were used and how the methods contrasted with current medicine. Had my children been born 100 years ago, treatments for illness would have been radically different. In fact, if my son had been born 100 years ago, he would have died as a toddler, when he was diagnosed as a diabetic. Actually, neither one of my children would have been born, as my husband would have died as a teenager, when his pancreas shut down.
In addition to the special exhibit, the museum is fascinating, and I wish I could have spent more time there, reading about the history of Edmond. I grew up here but know very little about my city's origin. Unfortunately, my children were antsy and ready to leave. I will have to visit another day...alone.
This is a picture of the early hospital
which housed above the Broncho Theater,
located in downtown Edmond.
It opened in 1947 and had 22 beds.

the physician's certificate
of Dr. Arthur M. Ruhl,
an Edmond doctor from the early 1900's
a birthing chair


a portable birthing table
Abby said, "I don't think I want to know what goes in that hole."
A:
I had been to the museum before, but I hadn't seen the medical exhibit. It was really fascinating seeing all the clothes and supplies that they used back then! I even got to see some old wheelchairs that they used!!!!! We got to see dental supplies and chairs too! I think my favorite part was getting to see all the cool old fashion clothes! I would have loved to wear some of that stuff!!!!! I enjoyed the museum and I hope that they will have all that out again!


a dentist's chair
Many dentists were also doctors or even barbers,
so you could get a haircut and have a tooth pulled by the same person.

C:
I saw a wheelchair. It didn't look the same because it was made out of wood, and it looked different from what we use now. Another one looked like a rocking chair. I saw this thing, and my mom asked me what it was. I said, "A coffee pot? A hat?" My mom said it was something that people pee in!



definitely NOT a coffee pot!

No comments:

Post a Comment