Monday, June 7, 2010

#59: A Dinosaur Site


Norman, Oklahoma
The Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History has many interesting exhibits pertaining to the area in which we live. The museum's Hall of Ancient Life displays dinosaur skeletons from different eras in our history. While I didn't agree with the timeline given by the museum, my children didn't read much of anything except the dinosaur names anyway.




My favorite part of the museum had nothing to do with dinosaurs. It was a travelling exhibit from the Field Museum in Chicago -" Chocolate." We were shown the origin of chocolate, from its early use by the ancient Maya as a bitter drink, to its value as money or for trade (so important that a warrior often accompanied cacao merchants), to its use by the European elite who introduced sugar to the mixture, to its current forms. I wish I had counted how many times the word "cacao" was mentioned, the correct pronunciation being kah-KOW!





A:
When we went to the Sam Noble museum, we saw a lot of exciting things. One of my favorites was looking at the huge dinosaur skeletons. Most of them were really tall. Some of them were weird. While we were there, they had a scavenger hunt going on. We had to go around the museum and look for the things that it asked us to look for. I had found everything, so I got a little magnifying glass as a prize. It's really cool!
C:
We got to see really, really, really tall dinosaurs. There was this scavenger hunt. I got everything right, so I earned a pencil with turtles on it. On the pencil it says "Rainbow Reptiles." I really liked the museum because we had to find a fish with armor. When we found the fish with armor we had to find the fish that it was going to eat and draw a picture of it. We went to the gift shop, and I got a thing that had an egg in it. It had a pretend dinosaur in it. We got pennies from the penny press machine. I got to get 4 pennies! When we were about to leave, we ate lunch outside the museum. It was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment